Holistic Meditation

Comments and questions on any spiritual topic

Holistic Meditation

Postby David » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:55 am

There are many different types of meditation. Each belief system has its own variation, some are good, some are hard, some work, some don't and some can actually be dangerous. What all these meditations have in common is that you are doing the meditation as a practice. Even if you're just trying to be aware it is still you doing something.

Natural, holistic meditation is living without the 'I' that is the thinking you. This is not some mystical, technical system that only yogis and monks can do. It happens to almost everyone during their daily life. You may see a beautiful sunset and be lost in the looking, or listen to some music and be caught up in the feeling, or playing with your children lost in the game, or pottering in the garden just doing this and that; or just being alone, going for a walk or having a cup of tea. If you can discover these special moments in your daily life, then you can cut out the middle man when it comes to meditation.

This is the key to Sutra 14. Discover these moments of pure livingness in your daily life then see how this serene state can be disturbed by distracting thoughts and emotions; and by becoming aware of this see how the disturbed state of mind can become serene again. This is living meditation or Zen in daily life. You don't need to sit and stare at a brick wall for hours, unless it's something that you want to do. Some people prefer structured meditation and that is fine.

Sutra (14)

When the primary field of livingness is,
then see how even this serene state of mind can be disturbed
and how a disturbed state of mind can become serene.

By far the most powerful meditation is simply living in the immediacy of being. When this becomes a way of life then you are in the world but no longer of the world. The advanced form of this meditation is given in Sutra 41.

Sutra (41)
Catching the Edge
In the immediacy of perceiving, knowing, feeling and being,
discover the Edge and know the technique of the Masters.
Ever new is the energy of Life.

If you are new to meditation and want some simple yet practical advice then Sutra 18 is worth a look. By choosing a time each day to meditate you will set up the habit of daily meditation and it will prepare the mind for the practice. Take a few deep breaths settled down comfortably and relax. No need to do anything at first; just observe what is going on inside, the thoughts that come, the feelings that arise and the rhythm of your breathing. You can choose something to ponder on, anything will do, think about it from every angle and finally let it go. In each meditation spend a few minutes contemplating love, joy and happiness. In time this will become a personal retreat where you can ponder, reflect, observe, listen and love. Later, you will discover the lulls, the Soundless Sound and the mystery of Intent.

Sutra (18)

Meditate by setting aside a time each day
to quietly sit, ponder, reflect, observe, listen and love.
Thus are the Lulls, the Soundless Sound
and the mystery of Intent revealed.

I do hope that this brings some new light on the distinction between holistic meditation and the practice of meditation.

David (dbm).

Copyright © dbm (David Barrett-Murrer) 2010. All rights reserved.
David
Site Admin

Re: Holistic Meditation

Postby John » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:11 am

Never heard of holistic meditation before - interesting :idea:
John

Postby Wisp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:52 pm

Understanding holistic meditation has opened up a different way of seeing the spiritual path... don't have to be a monk, a nun or live in some Indian ashram... it's all to do with living here and now. I sort of already knew this :idea: thanks :D

The hard bit is living it - maybe I do need a guru :(
Wisp

Postby Sal » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Wisp wrote:... The hard bit is living it - maybe I do need a guru :(

Hi Wisp, The more you understand the more you realise that you are your our own guru. As Buddha and others have said, You are a light unto yourself.
Sal

Postby Editor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:06 pm

David (dbm) wrote:Holistic meditation is the essence of the Art of Questing Life.

Meditation is not an item within your life, it is your life. This is part of the greater view that helps to free the mind to see beyond the mind...

From the greater view your life is very significant and how you live your life is very important. There is no need for rules or laws because the greater view reveals inner cosmic truths that transcend man-made rules and laws.

Understand then discover this truth You are a living light unto yourself and it can set you free!

Quotes from our archives.
Editor

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm

This topic makes a lottta sense :D
Diane

Postby Marikus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm new here. Found this post on meditation and I like it's simplicity. Too much mumbo jumbo crap in the spiritual boot-market.
Marikus

Postby Paul.R » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 am

As I see it we need to make our daily life an on going meditation.
Paul.R

Radical post

Postby LorrettaBak21 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I never looked at it that way before.
I admire those writers who share the best of their knowledge in writing such posts. Keep up the good work and continue inspiring readers. Thank you so much.

howtocleanyourcomputers.com/clean-computer-parts
LorrettaBak21

Postby Batman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 pm

The others have said it all, yes, very profound.
Batman

Return to Open Questing Forum